My Pedagogy

To be an educator is my dream, and I am passionate about it.  I need my students to feel my energy, to become fascinated with subjects I never got the opportunity to cherish myself.  I want my students to love learning as I accomplished for English and Art.  I want to give energy to my students.  It is necessary to create students’ passion for subjects the teacher educates; it makes their study progressively engaging.  With the assistance of the New BC Curriculum, students get an opportunity to build up an enthusiasm for studying, as it gives kids a chance to take an interest in various methods for learning. 

In my opinion, to be an expert in something, you must be enthusiastic about what you are doing.  It is necessary to be excited about educating children, but it is also essential to encourage them to be enthusiastic about learning.  Becoming an educator has always felt like my life purpose.  I have lived in several countries, which has taught me to adapt to new places and meet many people.  An educator can have a valuable outcome in a student’s life, and I have, for the longest time, been wanting to empower children to develop a love for learning.  I feel that a teacher has a momentous opportunity to have a valuable result in a student’s life. 

A great educator reflects a love for their job and a desire to help their students achieve higher education.   By doing this it will create an atmosphere in the classroom that will motivate students to do better, and continuously make an effort in their studies.  They are supposed to show an excellent example of what it is like to be a good learner.  Today, educators must develop the same growth mind-set to connect with students; we are all a community of learners.   The educator must understand the material they are teaching just as how to instruct in a manner that collects a student’s character, certainty and consciousness of other’s expectations.  An instructor’s activity isn’t only to guarantee students will comprehend the exercises they are educated yet in addition to make a safe place.  I desire my students to want to come to class, regardless of what’s going on in their lives.  I need them to discover a safe place in my classroom. 

Children are always vulnerable and under peer pressure day by day.  As teachers, we should bring some comprehension of mental wellness issues in our classroom.  In my opinion, increasing and encouraging creativity helps students with an opening about their thoughts and concerns.  The well-being of our students must be the primary need; it is a part of my philosophy of education.  Educators need to try to incorporate various types of directions and exercises for better understanding and connections in the study hall.  For instance, students with ASD require an organized and predictable classroom.  Teachers must be prepared to take care of kids with different exceptionalities, improve communication with students that need support, enhance social perception and behaviour.  

I will make sure to influence and urge children to be open-minded.  I need to ensure that each student in the class will be kind to one another, and I will demonstrate that consistently.  I think it is additionally significant to recognize diversity.  I will make sure to incorporate different learning materials and exercises for every student.  To achieve the right goals with this cultural introduction is crucial to prepare for the lesson; understand the importance of Indigenous Education in Indigenous culture and Canadian culture.  This way of including another culture that is severely important to our lives, teachers encourage students to appreciate diversity and be respectful to other cultures. 

I believe in Behaviorism, Progressivism and Constructivism, I think my pedagogy is based on these three philosophies.  Also, pedagogy is based on Epistemology and Axiology, as they are the main philosophies of education.  Axiology is the study of value, the investigation and criteria.  Epistemology is the theory of knowledge. (Edmunds, pg 210).  These five philosophies of education make my pedagogy.  Behaviourism is educator-focused reasoning that spotlights individual behaviour as a response to outside changes and accepts that the changing condition can change a student’s misbehaviour. (Edmunds, pg 235).  It is also seen as classroom management, for example, every kind of behaviour either gets a reward or punishment.  I believe in classroom management but I wouldn’t want to punish children or set an unfair environment.  I think there should be a behaviour modification, but instead of punishment, I will use praise, feedback and positive reinforcement.  I want to be the first-person children will ask for help, I want them to be comfortable asking me questions and not feeling left out, I want them to feel safe around me.

Progressivism is a student-focused way of thinking that accepts that reasoning ought to be tried by experimentation and understanding originates from discovering a response from questions.  This philosophy involves three kinds of learners, auditorial, visual, and kinesthetic.  This philosophy uses intriguing games, books, field trips, and experimentation. (Edmunds, pg 223).  This way of learning is incredibly important as children take what they know, examine it and in the end, they learn more about it.  Students get to realize what is relevant to them, their experiences and environment and how they connect it to learning.  Instead of learning something and forgetting about it in five minutes, children learn and understand how valuable it is to their lives.

Constructivism is a student-focused way of thinking that emphasizes hands-on learning and students effectively taking an interest in exercises.  This way of thinking believes that students ought to have the option to find activities without anyone else because utilizing hands-on learning is one of the best types of learning. (Edmunds, pg 235).  Students get to learn not only from their own experiments but also from their friends and classmates by reviewing and reflecting.  I think it is important as a teacher doesn’t tell the answer to the question, s/he lets students explore and find the answer themselves. This philosophy lets students be independent in their learning.

I am very passionate about the philosophies of education because back in my school in Russia, I didn’t get a chance to enjoy any of them.  I still remember how dry and boring every day of school was, seeing the unhappy faces of my teachers that took away my desire to learn.  I look back every day and I see reasons why I didn’t succeed in some areas, and most of them include boring classrooms and strict environment.  I didn’t feel safe in school and I didn’t love it until I moved to Ireland, then my feelings for school had changed.  In Ireland, they introduced me to a comfortable and safe environment where there were rules but they weren’t so strict. My teachers were passionate about the subjects they were teaching and I loved going to school every day because of them.  Experiences and great opportunities I took in my life had taught me a lot and I want to contribute it to my classroom.  It is essential to not just teach students the material but also get them to understand it.  I hope my students will love learning because I will put a huge amount of time and effort to ensure they have all the opportunities to grow.

Edmunds, A. L., Nickel, J., & Badley, K. (2015). Educational Foundations in Canada. Ontario: 

Oxford University Press.