Indigenous Day of Learning on Friday, September 25, 2020

I acknowledge that I live, work and learn on the unceded ancestral lands of the Lheidli T’enneh First Nation in Prince George.

I was left speechless again after an amazing Indigenous Education Professional Development day. First of all, I felt fortunate to participate in it this year. It was my second year participating in this day. I remember the goosebumps that I got from listening to the speakers. I have to be honest; I was afraid that I wouldn’t feel the same way. Oh, how wrong I was!

I started my day with the first keynote speaker Dr. Dustin Louie; he blew my mind with the topics he discussed, which were Homelessness in Indigenous communities and Sexual Exploitation of Indigenous Women. I remember my heart beating so fast while listening to him. I was amazed so much that I couldn’t talk and needed to take a walk outside. As a woman, I felt connected, and I can say for sure that Dr. Dustin Louie built an ally in me. I support this great man and reconciliation!

It wasn’t an easy day as it touched on some tough topics. However, they must be heard and listened to! The final keynote speaker was Dr. Niiganwewidam Sinclair. He really gave me a big kick, as if saying, “get up and do something”. I was speechless again; I had so many thoughts running through my head; some of them were- what should I do to help, how does reconciliation look like, and I must support Indigenous People. Dr. Niiganwewidam Sinclair’s speech was so honest and real. I felt every word he said.

This was another amazing Profesional Day of learning! I am grateful that I got that opportunity to be a part of Indigenous Education Day.

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”- Nelson Mandela